Status update, July 2020 July 15, 2020 on Drew DeVault's blog

Hello again! Another month of FOSS development behind us, and we’re back again to share the results. I took a week off at the end of June, so my progress this month is somewhat less than usual. Regardless, I have some updates for you, mainly in the domain of SourceHut work.

But before we get to that, let’s go over this month’s small victories. One was the invention of the BARE message format, which I wrote a blog post about if you want to learn more. Since that article, five new implementations have appeared from various authors: Rust, Python, JavaScript, D, and Zig.

I also wrote a couple of not-blogposts for this site (drewdevault.com), including a page dispelling misconceptions about static linking, and a page (that I hope you’ll contribute to!) with videos of people editing text. Just dropping a link here in case you missed them; they didn’t appear in RSS and aren’t blog posts. To help find random stuff like that on this site, I’ve also established a misc page.

Okay, on to SourceHut. Perhaps the most exciting development is the addition of continuous integration to the mailing lists. I’ve been working towards this for some time now, and it’s the first of many features which are now possible thanks to the addition of the project hub. I intend to complete some follow-up work improving the CI feature further still in the coming weeks. I’m also planning an upgrade for the hardware that runs hg.sr.ht during the same timeframe.

That’s all the news I have for now, somewhat less than usual. Some time off was much-needed, though. Thanks for your continued support, and I hope you continue to enjoy using my software!

...
$ cat main.$ext
use io;
use strings;
use sys;

export fn main void = { for (let i = 0; sys::envp[i] != null; i += 1) { let s = strings::from_c(sys::envp[i]); io::println(s); }; }; $ $redacted run main.$ext error: main.$ext:8:41: incorrect type (&char) for parameter 1 (&char) let s = strings::from_c(sys::envp[i]); ^— here $ vim main.$ext $ cat main.$ext use io; use strings; use sys;

export fn main void = { for (let i = 0; sys::envp[i] != null; i += 1) { let s = strings::from_c(sys::envp[i]); io::println(s); free(s); }; }; $ $redacted run main.$ext DISPLAY=:0 EDITOR=vim

Articles from blogs I read Generated by openring

Status update, April 2024

Hi! The X.Org Foundation results are in, and I’m now officially part of the Board of Directors. I hope I can be of use to the community on more organizational issues! Speaking of which, I’ve spent quite a bit of time dealing with Code of Conduct matters latel…

via emersion April 16, 2024

M2dir: treating mails as files without going crazy

Sometime recently in the past I complained about Maildir. You can go read the post, but the executive summary is that I think Maildir uses an actively user-hostile directory structure and extremely convoluted filenames that do not convey any meaning at all. …

via blogfehler! April 15, 2024

Go Developer Survey 2024 H1 Results

What we learned from our 2024 H1 developer survey

via The Go Blog April 9, 2024