I have COVID-19 and I am halfway through my stockpile of tissues, so I’m gonna keep this status update brief.
In Hare news, I finally put the last pieces into place to make cross compiling as easy as possible. Nothing else particularly world-shattering going on here. I have a bunch of new stuff in my patch queue to review once I’m feeling better, however, including bigint stuff — a big step towards TLS support. Unrelatedly, TLS support seems to be progressing upstream in qbe. (See what I did there?)
powerctl is a small new project I wrote to configure power management states on Linux. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. It makes for a good case study on Hare for systems programming.
In Helios, I have been refactoring the hell out of everything, rewriting or redesigning large parts of it from scratch. Presently this means that a lot of the functionality which was previously present was removed, and is being slowly re-introduced with substantial changes. The key is reworking these features to take better consideration of the full object lifecycle — creating, copying, and destroying capabilities. An improvement which ended up being useful in the course of this work is adding address space IDs (PCIDs on x86_64), which is going to offer a substantial performance boost down the line.
Alright, time for a nap. Bye!