Status update, July 2020

Published 2020-07-15 on Drew DeVault's blog

Hello again! Another month of FOSS development behind us, and we’re back again to share the results. I took a week off at the end of June, so my progress this month is somewhat less than usual. Regardless, I have some updates for you, mainly in the domain of SourceHut work.

But before we get to that, let’s go over this month’s small victories. One was the invention of the BARE message format, which I wrote a blog post about if you want to learn more. Since that article, five new implementations have appeared from various authors: Rust, Python, JavaScript, D, and Zig.

I also wrote a couple of not-blogposts for this site (drewdevault.com), including a page dispelling misconceptions about static linking, and a page (that I hope you’ll contribute to!) with videos of people editing text. Just dropping a link here in case you missed them; they didn’t appear in RSS and aren’t blog posts. To help find random stuff like that on this site, I’ve also established a misc page.

Okay, on to SourceHut. Perhaps the most exciting development is the addition of continuous integration to the mailing lists. I’ve been working towards this for some time now, and it’s the first of many features which are now possible thanks to the addition of the project hub. I intend to complete some follow-up work improving the CI feature further still in the coming weeks. I’m also planning an upgrade for the hardware that runs hg.sr.ht during the same timeframe.

That’s all the news I have for now, somewhat less than usual. Some time off was much-needed, though. Thanks for your continued support, and I hope you continue to enjoy using my software!

...
$ cat main.$ext
use io;
use strings;
use sys;

export fn main void =
{
	for (let i = 0; sys::envp[i] != null; i += 1) {
		let s = strings::from_c(sys::envp[i]);
		io::println(s);
	};
};
$ $redacted run main.$ext
error: main.$ext:8:41: incorrect type (&char) for parameter 1 (&char)
		let s = strings::from_c(sys::envp[i]);
                                        ^--- here
$ vim main.$ext
$ cat main.$ext
use io;
use strings;
use sys;

export fn main void =
{
	for (let i = 0; sys::envp[i] != null; i += 1) {
		let s = strings::from_c(sys::envp[i]);
		io::println(s);
		free(s);
	};
};
$ $redacted run main.$ext
DISPLAY=:0
EDITOR=vim
# ...

Have a comment on one of my posts? Start a discussion in my public inbox by sending an email to ~sircmpwn/public-inbox@lists.sr.ht [mailing list etiquette]

Are you a free software maintainer who is struggling with stress, demanding users, overwork, or any other social problems in the course of your work? Please email me — I know how you feel, and I can lend a sympathetic ear and share some veteran advice.


Articles from blogs I follow around the net

North Pacific Logbook

blogContinue Reading

via Hundred Rabbits July 31, 2020

Cognitect, please stop adding alpha to your namespaces

Why putting alpha in your project name does more harm than good

via tonsky.me July 31, 2020

Status update, July 2020

Hi all! It’s time for another monthly status update. Yesterday I’ve released wlroots 0.11.0 and Sway 1.5! This is a pretty big release, with lots of new features and bug fixes. New features include headless outputs that can be created on-the-fly (one use-cas…

via emersion July 21, 2020

Generated by openring